Pages

Thursday, November 4, 2010

Amy Butler Modern Diaper Bag!!! (And a couple of other things!)

Well, I did it! It's finished! I'm so proud of myself...it took me 4 days, a few machine needles, and more than a few choice words, but it's done! I completed the modern diaper bag, the changing pad that goes with it, and a diaper "clutch" for those times when I don't need the whole big bag with me. I will say that had I kept the dimensions as listed in "Little Stitches for Little Ones" it would have been WAY too big for me. Also, the changing pad does call for 2 layers of batting, but if you buy the thick batting you only need one. I used 2 layers of 3/4" batting and it's too bulky...I had to lengthen the strap on the changing pad to make it work (but that could also be because I don't like just rolling it into a tube, I tri-fold one way and then another). I used the instructions from The Ogden's Modern Diaper Bag Post to cut down the size of the bag to about 75%, which works perfectly for me.

I had some difficulty turning the bag from inside-out to right side-out, until I realized that I had attached the straps wrong (way to go pregnancy brain and exhaustion) but once I fixed that there wasn't really a problem at all. I also intended the clutch to be smaller, but I was guessing at dimensions and it turned out too big. That's OK, now I just have a small diaper bag (aka clutch) to take with me when the full sized bag would be too much. Is anyone else surprised/impressed that  Ben helped pick out the fabric? He says that it was so that he could get out of the fabric store faster, but I'm still happy. It would have taken me FOREVER to choose if he hadn't stepped up!

He also got to feel Monkey really MOVE the other day. He had his hand resting on my belly, and baby full on KICKED his hand...so hard that  Ben jumped away because it surprised him so much!

post signature

3 comments:

  1. YESSSS! I LOVE LOVE LOVE the fabric you picked, and you did a fab job! So sorry I never responded about the diaper clutch - I couldn't figure out how to respond to your comment via email, but found your blog! You did fabulous!! I love the envelope-type flap on your clutch - I'm gonna make my next one that way. Nice work! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I'm actually going to add a button to the clutch that matches the one on the diaper bag. Not sure if I'll use the changing pad, I'm not thrilled with how bulky it is. I'll probably just leave it in the trunk of the car so I don't have to change him on my leather seats or the dirty floor of the trunk LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, and still totally in love with your Diapers & Wipes case & the way you did your Changing pad...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! I welcome and appreciate all helpful/funny/generally polite comments and questions!