Pages

Saturday, May 26, 2012

The Search For Meaning

I was thinking today about how hard it is to make friends now that I am a little bit older. It used to be you ran into someone on the playground/in the hall/in the dorm/in class, you would talk for a bit, and then you were friends. Not anymore. Now it's an evaluation as to how much effort I want to put in, how much I want a new friend, and, generally, whether or not it will be worth it.

That sounds bad. I know. But ultimately, I have a son, a husband, 2 dogs, and a house to take care of. Plus looking for work, trying to maintain friendships with people who are spread around the world, and finding time for myself. There are barriers to pass, just as Leonard had to pass 3 barriers to become Sheldon's roommate.
So, we're picky. I like to cultivate my friendships. However, I don't want the scary clingy friend who calls/messages/texts constantly and can't get a hint that they are being a crazy person don't understand boundaries. Sometimes (OK, most of the time) it's just easier to say "screw it."

But, ultimately, I want some new friends. Mommy friends. Mommy friends that live in the same town, who's children are close in age to mine and who I have things in common with. That may be too much to ask. but I keep looking. In the meantime, while re-reading one of my favorite blogs, I came across. this post that helped me know I'm not completely crazy.
post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading! I welcome and appreciate all helpful/funny/generally polite comments and questions!