Pages

Wednesday, November 23, 2011

My Problem With Couponing

I love a good deal. I love saving us money, especially because finding work has been a challenge for me. But I have a serious problem when it comes to couponing: I refuse to feed my family nothing but processed fat lard chemicals crap food. I insist, for the most part, on making things from wholesome, fresh ingredients, and make things from scratch whenever possible (I just need that dang pasta maker attachment for my Kitchenaid, then we'll really be going strong).

I watch these shows like Extreme Couponing on TLC, and while it's amazing that they can do that well with couponing, I don't see a whole lot of fruits and vegetables going into those carts. What do I see? Microwave dinners. Candy. TONS of cereal (and we're not talking organic granola). Soda, toothpaste, laundry detergent...that's all in there. Fruits? Veggies? Fresh meat? Nah.

Just once, I would like to see a cart filled with real ingredients for a healthy balanced meal. That won't happen though. Why? Because those things don't have coupons. And they're not exactly cheap people! To eat healthy you get punished in the price. That just plain sucks. America has a weight problem for a reason: we're obsessed with the easy way out. The fast, instantly gratifying way that clogs our arteries and makes our fat cells expand like Violet Beauregard's after eating Willy Wonka's gum that is a three course dinner. No wonder our butts are the size of the death star...all we eat is processed carbs and sugar!

OK, OK, I'll step off my soap box now. But seriously, why can't a couponer's shopping cart look like this:

Instead of the reality, which is this: 


Oh, and can we throw in the 97-120% savings as well? Thanks so much.


post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading! I welcome and appreciate all helpful/funny/generally polite comments and questions!